Monday 13 April 2015

My unexpected dabble in Arboriculture

So between Oct 2013 and January 2015 I worked on and off for Edwards Tree Services, formerly Edwards Tree Surgery. I can't believe I havn't already blogged about the experience to be honest.

Well anyway a good friend of mine Steve Morris, dropped me a message to ask if I could come in and help out for a week as they were really short staffed. Having nothing else lined up I said yes.

So there I was, no idea what the hell was going on, but loving the fact I got to wear a fancy helmet and generally piss about with some hard graft thrown in for good measure. Even if the helmet was well over due replacing and several years old, though I didn't discover this for months.


He's there...somewhere
Infact even the bosses dog could carry logs better than I could when I started out.

All over the place
Some how I managed to survive the week, rigging branches down, chipping the only pair of gloves I was given, and spilling oil and petrol all over the place in front of my boss.
Much to my surprise I was asked back. A couple of months later, I was starting to get the hang of how things worked, what the system was, and even pre empting situations and gaining some brownie points. I still spent half my time taking photos though.
It was the sort of job where you have to not only prove yourself but earn the respect of the people you work with. 
Now I really frustrated everyone I worked with by generally being shit and good all at the same time, but at the same time having some serious laughs along the way.

There's always something to take home, either to burn or make.
I learnt some pretty handy skills, from how to cut a hedge, to how to split logs.


Before I knew it I was buying actual work gear...
What I loved the most was that when I woke up in the morning, I had no idea where I would be going, but I knew that in some way there would be some beauty, some hard work, and some good fun. 





Even when the weather was 'shit' I was still having fun, and still taking photos when I shouldn't have





However all this physical labour took it's toll on my already pretty broken body, but also kept it strong. 


Yet before I knew it, I had my first experience up a tree, even gained some qualifications or tickets, and bought more expensive gear.



Despite all of this though I was still the WEP

But that's just the way I liked it. 

Now I work in a hospital, indoors all day, and to be honest, it is really driving my insane. Although today I chopped down a tree, which was very satisfying, in fact I have done two tree related jobs since starting at the hospital, and they have been the only form of paid work I have actually looked forward to, and enjoyed doing, which says a lot I think.


I can't stay away, I don't want to stay away.

So anyway, A large percentage of 2014 was spent with a select few lads and a whole load of trees, many of which are no more (the trees that is) Thank you guys for a great year, I laughed so hard I cried nearly every day, I worked so hard (most days) that I nearly always slept well, and I worked so much that I failed my Biology A Level, but all in all it was one of the best jobs I ever had.
Until next time Lads, I am a robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I started this Blog to document the amazing streak of bad luck I was having throughout 2010, I'd like to think my luck has changed for 2011...time will tell.