Tuesday 29 January 2013

Cycling

Cycling to work really is pretty amazing. It's taken me two days to get the timing right, and I'm still drying myself after a shower with a t shirt as well as drying my hair under the hand blower, but put these minor details aside and I'm doing it, I'm cycling to work and I'm loving it.

Waking up at 6:30am is pretty tough, fighting the inner demons that are telling you your warm car with heated leather seats will be so much better for your arse is a true test of character. As if simply getting out of bed wasn't tough enough, but to jump on a mountain bike and cycle ten miles to work...preposterous! Once I'm up and riding though, things are totally different,  the wheels are turning, the legs are working and the cobwebs are most certainly blown away. The heart starts to beat hard, blood is flowing into every part of my body, and it reminds me that I am alive, it's invigorating. Though not long into my journey that I'm feeling alive, I find my self fighting to stay alive all together.

Cars are heading towards me in all different directions, and when I finally hit the cycle path I find myself sharing it with other cyclists, pedestrians and various other animals from Pugs to Horses. Soon I am whizzing past everyone, angry motorists look on in disgust "How dare he overtake me on his pesky bicycle" - I can just imagine them thinking that whilst they are seething in their half mile long traffic jam. I drop a gear and pedal hard; I've got to look quick, I've got to look like I'm putting some serious effort in here!

I pull into work, a glorious sight, searching the car park in hope of someone spotting me and acknowledging my efforts, no one is looking on but this is a silent victory for me, I feel great. I walk into work proud of my efforts, sweaty, muddy, I look an absolute state amongst the suits but head held high with pride.

I packed a few shirts, boxers and socks in my bag so I wouldn't have to keep brining my bag, but I completely forgot to pack a towel! I realise this as I'm stood stark bollock naked in the changing rooms, no going back now. I strategically place a t shirt by the shower, this will be my make shift towel! From a triumphant high to an all time low...I'm completely naked and hunched under the hand drier trying to dry my hair with a t shirt askew on my back. I suddenly feel like a homeless person having a freshen up in public toilets.

This is the thing about cycling to work, you feel righteous and above everyone who has driven to work, yet at the same time you feel like a tramp living out of a plastic bag. At least my dignity is reformed when I don my shirt, trousers, shoes and tie and head up stairs to work. My colleagues are none the wiser, but inside I'm ecstatic with the days' events...and it's only eight in the morning!

So what are you waiting for...


2 comments:

  1. This rings a few bells, been there and still doing it though my ride is only 9 miles. I also was caught without a towel, I nicked someone elses bigger mistake than the tea shirt I think... I get no cycle paths though just back roads which get surprisingly busy sometimes - mostly when there is an accident on the main road. I've been doing it off and on for over 3 years now, never managed to do it every day but cycle right through the winter most years. Trying to muster the enthusiasm to get back on this week after a little break. How come you don't use a road bike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good work it really is quite rewarding isn't it. The snow has certainly put a downer on my efforts recently but I'm slowly racking up the miles. I've been using my mountain bike because it's the only bike I have at the moment and can't really afford a road bike. I'm always on the hunt for a bargain though!

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I started this Blog to document the amazing streak of bad luck I was having throughout 2010, I'd like to think my luck has changed for 2011...time will tell.