Sunday 2 December 2012

The Job

The job

So I've been at work for three weeks now, or maybe four I'm not sure. But its going ok, up and down, like a yo yo. It is kinda cool what I do I guess, and the more I think about it the more I think 'shit am I really carrying this much responsibility, do these people really trust me to be doing this?'
Basically I am fully responsible for insuring that three mills have enough wheat, oats,maize,peas,barley on a day to day basis to make enough bread and other products. That's just insane to let someone as nonchalant as me carry out such a heavy task. Today I was controlling all of the product out of a mill in Manchester, product that feeds cattle, that allows them to grow, and be milked and killed for tasty steak, me...in control of that!

It does get a bit repetitive I must admit, playing the same mill, the same calls and scoring the same deals with regular hauliers, but there are some laughs to be had. For example one haulier phoned today,
"frontier jack speaking"
"jack is Alicia there?"
"She is, shall I put you across?"

He simply replies,

"is she fit jack?"

Hahaha and thats it, my afternoon has been made, me and Jim end up talking for about fifteen minutes after Alicia, shes sat within ear shot but is none the wiser.
"Well would you?" He continues,
"Urrrh"
"That's a no then!" We're both in hysterics.

"How many pints would it take? Four? I always flirt with her on the phone, I bet shes fat, is she fat jack? This always happens, I always flirt with the fattys"

Hes laughing for England and so am i. I lean back in my chair in hysterics and start to feel good, I'm in an office chatting, laughing, but doing business all at the same. Its clicked.

"Whats that saying, flirt on the phone add 2 stone" hes roaring down the phone...so am I.
I don't care what people in the office think, and Ive been to his site in Worcester, i know he is just sat in a portacabin next to a calender of lorries, hugging a mini electric heater, but we are both on fire.

"Always the fattys, well you better put me across jack"

Moments like that make the job so much more worthwhile.yo It wasn't just Jim either. Ive have two shit days, and today in stead of getting wound up, i just went with it, just chatted to everyone properly, no business talk...but it was somehow, and it worked.

"Hows your week been Dave?" I ask,
i know the answer but it will start a fun conversation...

"Fucking shit" he replies.

Brilliant, it works you know, I'm letting them know that I am on their side, I empathize with them, listen to them and look out for them. I hook them up with work and as a result they keep saying less and will hopefully scratch my back when I get in a tricky situation.

I'm not sure this is something I want to do long term, but the people are great, and sure I'm rough around the edges, when have I not been, but I'm doing ok. Ive been thrown in the pool, and I'm in class two, swimming...just.





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I started this Blog to document the amazing streak of bad luck I was having throughout 2010, I'd like to think my luck has changed for 2011...time will tell.